Monday 14 January 2019

END OF THE ROAD?

Yes, I am now at Pontian, in the SW of Malaysia, and close to the Southern most tip of Mainland Asia. There is a possibility that I may fly to Cape Town next week. That would signal a substantial break in my bike travels, and hopefully I can re-group and return to this nomadic life again.
For the moment I am again staying with the guys of the Pontian Cycling Club (PCC), where I also stayed last year. They are taking extremely good care of me (as before). They have also made some improvements to their "Club House", which now resembles something between a pub and a hostel (bunk beds and shower, etc.). These people know how to entertain, and I seldom get to bed before 3 AM. At the PCC there have been 2 other cyclists staying there during my current visit (Malaysian Matphi, and English Rowan). Of course, they were also dragged out for meals and drinks!
On my way South from the Thai border, I camped mainly at mosques, parks, and petrol stations (as long as there was water, toilet, and rain shelter). A few times people had gone and bought a T/A dinner which they brought to me (they must have really felt pity for this poor homeless sod).
Distances which I have cycled since crossing into Malaysia from Thailand are:- Alor Setar 82 km; Butterworth 92 km; Taiping 89 km; Lekir 92 km; Sabak Bernam 79 km; Jeram 77 km; Banting 67 km; Port Dixon 91 km; Mashid Tana 63 km; Jalan Muar 81 km; Bentun 95 km; and Pontian 42 km. The total distance which I have cycled on tour since 27 March 2007 is 170 716 km. (I hope to be back on the road in the not-too-distant future).

No comments: